Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

reading list

Work has been on the quiet side lately (I'm allowed to say that, right, law firm, if you're reading?  That's allowed?) and Jon had some business in Boston today, so we met for a coffee date near my office at one of my favorite coffee shops.  It's amazing how a change in scenery feels like an actual date, even when we spend time drinking coffee (me) and tea (him) and talking at home all the time.  But it was a treat, and I wish he worked in Boston too so we could do it more often.  I've also had a chance to read some actual newspapers, which has been lovely, and I thought these articles were especially great.

First up, in case you haven't met him already, I'd like to introduce you to a handsome little doll baby named Dominic Pio.  I don't know how it's possible for me to care so much about a baby I've never met, but ever since I first heard his story via Dwija at HouseUnseen I've checked in on him, courtesy of his mom's wonderful blog, almost daily.  Maybe it is because I have two little boys of my own, or maybe it is because he was treated here in Boston at the amazing Children's Hospital, where Conor also goes to see his neurologist and ophthalmologist.  I don't know.  I'm going to want to write about Conor's diagnosis of hydrocephalus at some point, but for now I just wanted to share this amazing article from the Boston Globe about Dominic's (and his family's) inspirational story.  It's really worth a read - here

On a completely different note, this column about front yard gardening by Mark Bittman was a lot of fun; you can read it here.  Yay victory gardens!  I had been a little lukewarm about planning our garden this year, in keeping with my totally charming habit of throwing pointless fits over our status as perma-renters, complete with moaning that "this isn't even our HOME."  But I think Bittman has managed to convince me to jump back in - if we were able to get this much goodness on the daily from the small raised beds in our last yard, imagine what we can do with almost two mostly level acres at our disposal now!  We're basically farmers already.  (PS: no idea what that eggplant turned yellow.  It was still delicious, if a little frightening). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!