Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Yarn Along No. 3

 Linking up with Ginny and co. at Small Things!



I'm so close!  A few more buttons, and a little blocking, and the sweater for baby girl will be done!  I doubt it will fit her when she's born in May, but it should be perfect for this fall.


Aren't the little wooden flower buttons the best? 


 
I hate that I have the type of personality that obsesses over the flaws in my knitting (and, well, everything), and I want to be able to let get of that tendency.  So, when I discovered that the needles I used for the body of the sweater are bigger than those I used for the sleeves (I'm still not sure how that happened - they both appear to be size 4, according to my little needle gauge) which resulted in the sleeves being a much tighter knit, I called it a design feature and tried to let it go.  It still amazes me that a pair of needles can turn a long piece of string into something wearable, so I am going to focus on that.  And on the fact that the little . . . idiosyncrasies of hand-knit garments just serve to differentiate them from mass-produced, machine-made items, making them even more special.  If I repeat it often enough I'm sure I'll come to believe it. 
 
I have about 1.5 skeins of this yarn left, and am not sure what to do with it.  The only other yarn I have on hand is sky-blue; I'm thinking of knitting a bonnet and booties combining the two colors but worry it will be too masculine.  Can a bonnet be masculine? 
 
The Complete Stories
Source

 
 
 
This isn't so much a current read, but I always have a (real!  With paper and everything!) copy of The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor on my nightstand.  I always think it's going to be easy to make it through a short story just before bed, but O'Connor's stories are so complex and deep that even the very short stories never end up being a true quick read.  And her Southern settings and characters and dialects are almost a foreign language to this New England girl, but I just love each and every one of them.   



5 comments:

  1. It took me a while to accept the imperfections in my knitting. I think that the thing that keeps me from frogging is my strong desire to not re-knit something I have spent hours on. Also, learning how to fix mistakes with out ripping back a ton is helpful too. Check this for helpful hints! http://blog.maryscotthuff.com/2012/09/21/how-to-fix-a-mis-crossed-cable.aspx# ..it works on more than just cables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I used to be pretty good at picking up dropped stiches, etc., but seem to have lost the touch. I appreciate the link!

      Delete
  2. That little sweater is so beautiful!!
    Sometimes, a garment on its own may not be fully feminine or masculine. I am sure though that if your little girl wears the bonnet you are thinking about with that sweater, the whole will be amazingly girlish and pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore those little flower buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's really adorable and yes the buttons are perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!