Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

summer days

I'm a big believer in boring summers.  They should be so boring, they should be endless. Each day should last for weeks, with not much to do but examine cool new bugs and make up games in the woods behind the house.  So we've been doing a lot of this:











And it's been good.  So, so good.  Now, I'm not a purist.  The kids went to the pond every day for a half-hour swim lesson (the town offers them at something like $3/day.  How can we say no?) followed by lazy lunches at the beach with friends, lots of free swim and sandy bathing suits.  Afternoon naps, loads of books.  I read the boys The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and they can now identify fauns on sight.  Conor is learning to read.  We're planning a weekend on Chappaquiddick with my aunt and uncle.  But still, we've been able to slow down and just have a boring summer. 

This summer has made me so happy, and the thought of going back to work full-time (I'm at 3 days a week now), which is a looming possibility, is getting harder and harder to stomach.  I know I'm going to need to just put on my big girl pants and do what's best for our family.  I know that.  But oh, it's going to be hard to let these days go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!