Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Yarn Along No. 1


I'm very excited to be linking up with Ginny at Small Things, one of my very favorite blogs, for my first Yarn Along!  I have been hesitant to do this because (1) I almost always knit at night, and can never manage to get well-lit photos of my knitting and (2) I tend to read on an e-reader,* which also doesn't lend itself to pretty photography.  While I figure that dilemma out, for now I'll include a blurry Instagram photo of the sweater and a copied image of Wolf Hall, my new read.

I just cast on my very first project for baby girl!  I love knitting for my boys, and almost done with a second Norwegian Star hat for Finn (I just need to block it), but there is something special about knitting for a newborn baby girl, isn't there?  This photo is of the start of a super-simple Seamless Yoked Baby Sweater in Sublime Baby Cashmerino in the Pebble colorway.  Of course, the world of pinks and yellows and pastels is finally open to me, and I choose to knit something the color of a rock on the beach.  Oh well, I love babies in neutrals!  And this yarn is lovely - so soft and silky. 
I knit one of these tiny sweaters back in 2005 - it was one of my very first projects, for a charity drive while I was in law school.  It is terribly easy to knit, and I just love the yoking around the neck and sleeves, so I couldn't wait to make a version for my own baby girl. 
 


Photo source.
I've been reading a lot lately, mostly on my looong train rides to and from work.  In the past couple of weeks I've finished Evelyn Waugh's Sword of Honor (long! and a bit of a slog through endless details about military maneuverings in parts, but worth it in the end), Elizabeth Strout's Olive Kitteridge (mesmerizing, fast read of interconnected short stories set in a small town in Maine, loved it), and Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure (excellent!  I loved this guide to photography, and I am NOT a tech person).  I was a little intimidated to start Wolf Hall - any book that begins with a multi-page list of characters and complicated timelines tends to stress me out.  But I'm a few chapters in, and can't believe how brilliant it is already.  I find most historical fiction, especially about the Tudors and court intrigue, to be too melodramatic for me, but this is so, so well done. 
*Does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with e-readers?  I love that I can read my books, newspapers, magazines, websites, work documents, and email all in one place, especially since I do most of my reading while commuting and don't like to have to lug a bunch of stuff around.  But I MISS books!  The pretty cover art, the feel of the pages, being able to read in the bathtub . . .  I usually have a print book or two lying around, but it just isn't the same.  And it's almost impossible to support local bookstores as much as I would like if I'm buying e-books.  What to do?


4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your finished hat..what a nice pattern:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so nice to visit your blog! Welcome to the Yarnalong. I am someday going to knit that pattern- I think it's in my queue on Ravelry. Also- Ginny on Small Things has recommended the book Understanding Exposure, also. So I think I'm going to check it out. And yes- I have an e-reader, however my kids always have it in order to play games. I would really like to use it more! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to yarnalong! i knit a lot at night too, but take photos during the day in natural light. your little sweater is so pretty! i love babies in neutral colors too. i also have an ipad, i remember downloading a book when i first got it and tried so hard to enjoy reading on it. every year it seems i try again, but come to the same conclusion, i don't like reading on electronic readers. i love books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not wild about the whole ebook thing...but then my son decided he would go to college 4+ hours from his mom and play football, which means we go there from August until Dec if we want to see him. And that's a long, boring ride in the dark, which it is bound to be one way or the other, or both...so my hubby bought me a kindle for my early birthday. I would have waited to open the package, but he couldn't! I've loaded a few books on for free and tried 2 library borrows, but I'm pinched for time right now, so the library ones will probably go back before I finish. It is nice to read in the dark and the battery should last both ways or get charged in between. I still carry books around all the time. It's who I am!! And your little sweater is wonderful! I've only knit one sweater and it was for me. No little ones in my family to knit for right now and I'm not in a hurry for that. but perhaps I could just do one and gift it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!